There was an old bathtub lying at my place, I thought maybe I could get someone to haul it away but a friend of mine suggested turning it into a worm farm and he told me about worm juice and how great it is for fertilising the garden crops. Sounded like a good idea but the tub sat there for almost another year until today I finally did turn it into a worm farm.
I got some ideas about how to do it from these web pages:
However I didn’t get as fancy as either of the above – I kept it very simple so that I could finish it in a few hours just using scraps of materials that I already had lying around. I didn’t have anyone to help me lifting the bathtub so I made the ends of the frame first and then raised up one end at a time onto each end piece of the frame (just four pieces of wood nailed into a square). Then I attached some boards along the length (two at the front and one at the back) to stabilise and complete the frame.
To make a drainage area in the bottom of the bath I simply laid some pieces of wood across the bottom. Because the bottom of the tub is curved, liquid can flow under the wood.
Then I added a layer of weed mat material – 2 pieces accross the width and one on top of that lengthwise, secured with duct tape.
For the bedding I used some torn up newspaper and cardboard along with a few forks of damp leaves.
I got the worms from my compost bin. I wasn’t sure if they would be the right worms for a worm farm but got some good info from Rodney of justaddworms.com and determined my boys were the right ones for the job – tiger worms.
I forked in some of the worm rich top layer from the compost bin which also contained some food scraps that I had but in earlier in the day.
And to finish it off a layer of cardboard on top to cover the worms and keep them in the dark and then a sheet of wood as a cover over the top of the bathtub. And a container under the drain for collecting the worm juice.