Welcome to the new site! I had previouslystarted a gardening blog hosted on WordPress.com – http://aidansgarden.wordpress.com. I recently got into home brewing and decided I would like to blog about my experiences in that area as well so today I set up this new website, Beer And Garden, to blog about both of these interests.
I managed to set up the site very quickly, just in an hour or two. For those who are interested in how to get your own blog website up and running in a very short time-frame here are the details:
- First I registered the domain name brewinmyown.com. I used cleverdot.com.
- Then I set up the hosting account. I already have a hosting account at resellerzoom.com so I was quickly able to add an account for the new site.
- I logged into my account at cleverdot.com and updated the name servers to those of my hosting account
- My hosting uses cpanel so I logged into the new account and did an instant install of WordPress using Fantastico. The skeleton of the site was then ready.
- I exported my old posts from aidansgarden.wordpress.com and imported them into the new site using WordPress’s built-in import/export features.
- Then I decided to make it cooler than the default theme so then, using WordPress’s built-in theme installer, I found and installed this nicely designed theme called graphene by Khairul Syahir. Thanks Khairul!
- I then customised the theme by creating a new header and background in Photoshop and making a few other tweaks to get it the way I wanted it. I used some free stock images from stock.XCHNG.
An that’s it, a nice new website up and running in a few hours! I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out considering the minimal amount of time I spent on it. Open-source rules!
Now I’m all ready to write my first post about home brewing.